What Is Work Flexibility?
Work flexibility is an over-arching term for options in the workplace that give organizations and their staff the freedom to better decide when, where, and how work will get done. For example, flexible and alternative schedules, remote work options, and even freelance contracts are all types of work flexibility. Work flexibility can be implemented in smaller ways (such as occasional telecommuting, or having an alternative schedule where you come in and leave an hour earlier to avoid traffic) or in bigger ways (such as telecommuting all of the time or having a completely flexible schedule).
First, work flexibility is something that many people want and/or need, but few people have. Second, and critically, work flexibility is commonly viewed as just a soft “perk” for employees, yet the truth is dramatically more comprehensive than that for both employees AND employers. Benefits available to the employer include financial savings, increased productivity, lower turnover, reduced absences, a better corporate culture, and many more. Benefits for employees include being more positively engaged in work and life, better health, time savings, reduced stress, having healthier relationships, and overall being happier.
Why Is 1 Million for Work Flexibility So Important?
In order to truly change workplace culture, we believe it is critical to engage the individuals who want and need work flexibility. Currently, change is typically driven by corporate HR departments. While these corporate efforts are valuable, we believe that both efforts—from individuals and from corporate headquarters—are needed in order to achieve more traction for change. By working together, we can help make work flexibility become a core part of the 21st century workplace.
Let’s Make Work Flexibility a Reality for More People
1 Million for Work Flexibility is dedicated to bringing the benefits of work flexibility to more companies and people. In order to do this successfully, we have the following goals:
- Inspire – Inspire 1 million people to join us in creating a voice that can be really heard.
- Educate – Share important information on news and trends related with work flexibility through newsletters, webinars, our blog, and social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Lead – Highlight real-life ways to help people achieve more work flexibility in their lives.
- Mobilize – Make it easier to get involved in local and national events, legislation, petitions, and other efforts supporting the advancement of flexible work options.
- Support – Work with leading experts and organizations in both the public and private sectors to help move forward complementary initiatives.
By gathering a ready audience of 1 million people willing to show their support of work flexibility, we will have an unprecedented opportunity to harness this energy towards advancing flexible work initiatives on a broader scale than ever before.
1 Million for Work Flexibility (1MFWF) is the first national initiative to create a collective voice in support of work flexibility.