Experience Energy, the leading resource for diverse talent, careers, and culture, hosted our second-ever GRIT Awards on Wednesday October 3rd. And once again, we were left in awe of the men and women in this industry; the leaders who are committed to growth, resilience, innovation, and transition. And if you weren’t able to join us, here’s what you missed.
Before we honored individuals for their game-changing work, we offered a half-days’ worth of thought-provoking content that stimulated conversation and created unique opportunities for connection.
Futurist Keynote speaker, Crystal Washington kicked things off with a conversation about the current state of diversity and inclusion in the workplace and the impact technology will have on its future. She discussed the different ways to combat the fact that technology doesn’t eliminate bias. She highlighted which technology should be on your radar, how to leverage it, and she also spilled about technology that is coming our way that could change the game for women and men in energy. She says “Social media is the great equalizer.” It offers a way to plow through the traditional barriers by providing access to the opportunities.
We took a quick break to enjoy a delicious lunch and some connecting before Katie Mehnert, founder & CEO of Experience Energy; a sister company of Pink Petro, took the stage to deliver a captivating speech. She reminded us that “Grit is not a destination, it’s a journey,” and “The world needs people with fire in their bellies.”
Lean In Energy was the GRIT Awards Benefactor, and the Global Mentoring chair, Alyssa Volk took the stage to share her insights into the program. Paul McIntyre later joined her on stage to drive the message home about working alongside women in the workplace.
Following lunch, Katie invited a panel of experts to the stage to discuss the details of several recent studies on the state of inclusion in energy for the Demystifying the Data panel. This conversation included the results of our first-ever Energy, Diversity, and Inclusion Index Survey which we launched to determine the industry sentiments around current diversity efforts.
NES Global Talent and PESA contributed research for the discussion focused on women in energy, how women feel about what their companies and this industry have to offer, and gender diversity.
Geeta Thakorlal, President of INTECSEA, delivered the Keynote about the value of perspective. Moments before taking the stage, she commented on how pleased she was to see how perfectly the conversations happening throughout the experience primed the audience for her speech. She took a deep dive into what GRIT and an inclusive environment can do for a business and how the generations are changing and adapting. She says, “You can see that with a diverse team, with multiple perspectives, allows us to work together to solve issues, increase awareness, and keep each other on the right path.”
None of this would have been possible without the people. We want to give special thanks to NES Global Talent and Gaping Void as sponsors, those of you who purchased tickets, and, of course, our table sponsors: KPMG, WorleyParson/Intecsa, Marathon, SWN, BHGE, Weatherford, Exxon, Enbridge, Chevron, Equinor, and PESA. We appreciate all you do to support Experience Energy and Pink Petro.
Before we announce the winners, we want to take a moment to celebrate all of the finalists. Each and every one of has GRIT.
- Dionne Auguste; Operations Manager – NES Global Talent
- Muhammad Imran Khan; Mari Petroleum Company Limited Pakistan
- Andrea Reynolds; General Manager Business Transformation London – Shell
- Elizabeth Rogo; CEO/Founder – Tsavo Oilfield Services Ltd
- Allison Selman; Integrity Management & Decommissioning Manager – Atteris
- Sarah Jane Walker; Senior Integration Manager – Baker Hughes, a GE company
- Jaime Butler; Vice President of Permian – Baker Hughes, a GE company
- Pam Darwin; Vice President Africa – ExxonMobil -- Accepting on her behalfis Kimberly Outerbridge
- Cherie Fuller; Vice President, Retail Power Market Management – EDF Energy Services
- Michele Harradence; Senior Vice President, Gas Transmission & Midstream Operations – Enbridge
- Susan Howes; Vice President of Engineering – Subsurface Consultants & Associates, LLC
- Deanna Jones; VP Human Resources & Administrative Services – Marathon Oil Company
- Janette Marx; CEO – Airswift
- Julie Munn-Sims; Principal – KPMG LLP
- Maria O'Connell; Vice President of Quality – Baker Hughes, a GE company
- Katherine Culbert; Co-Founder and CEO – K and K Process
- Kathy Lehne; President & CEO – Sun Coast Resources, Inc
- Michele McNichol; CEO – Arion Blue LLCm
- Lindsay Sander; Principal – Sander Resources
- Mary Van Domelen; President – Van Domelen International, LLC
- Mystie Barrett; Process Specialist – Aera Energy LLC
- Kara Byrne; Sr Proposal Manager – Baker Hughes, a GE company
- Krista Caldwell; Mobility Manager – WorleyParsons
- Cassandra Corley; Director, Information Technology - ConocoPhillips
- Maitri Erwin; Manager – NV, South America – CNOOC Nexen Inc
- Jessica Hernandez; Lead Manufacturing Specialist – Baker Hughes, a GE company
- Rebecca Hofmann; Leader – Management Systems & Blockchain Strategy & Innovation – Equinor
- Johanna Hoyt; Geologist III – Aera Energy LLC
- Angela Knight; Global Diversity & Inclusion Leader – Baker Hughes, a GE company
- Alaina Sajatovic; Product Manager – Baker Hughes, a GE company
- Afton Sterling; Regulatory Manager – Southwestern Energy
- Andrea Wu; Principal Consultant – RS Energy Group
- Hugh Connett; Vice President, Gas Commercialization – Chevron
Team - Paige PR
- Paige Donnell; CEO
- Kristen Quinn; PR Director
- Natasha Wilson; Digital Strategist
- Megan Anderson; Social Media Coordinator
- The Growth Award: Weatherford
- The Transformation award: BHGE
- The Innovation Award: Alyssa Volk, Baker Hughes a GE Company, for her work with Lean In Energy.
There was a very special announcement that we want to let you in on. HERWORLD19 is happening on March 7th& 8th with an incredible line up of speakers. But you’ll have to wait a little while longer for those exclusive details!