They say don’t judge a book by its cover, but if we’re being honest, it only takes six seconds to form an impression about someone. This short amount of time is all it takes to form an opinion solely based only on appearance. So, whether we like it or not, dressing for an interview is crucial to fitting in while standing out. Below are a few tips to keep in mind when dressing for that dream job interview.
Image via HerCampus
- Keep it Conservative:
- Professionalism is key, so always error on the side of classic and conservative by selecting items that are not too vibrant or distracting
- Grooming Matters:
Image via Trendy Rammy
- For the guys – be clean shaven or keep your facial hair trimmed and orderly
- For the ladies – natural makeup paired with clean and simple hair
- For both – manicured nails are essential – trimmed, filed and clean. Keep fragrances to a minimum
Image via Polyvore
- Fit and Tailored:
- Fit is key! Tailored items always create a polished look. Remember that wrinkles look the exact opposite of polished.
- For the ladies – avoid anything skin tight or low cut because a job interview is NOT the place to have your curves on display. Also, be mindful of hemlines and always go for skirts that hit closer to the knee or embrace the current midi length skirt trend.
- Finishing Touches:
- For the ladies – keep the heels around 3 inches or less and opt for closed or peep toe shoes only. Keep accessories to a minimum and tasteful and opt for one statement piece (i.e. a necklace or scarf).
For the guys – keep the shoes clean and please free of scuffmarks. Maybe opt for a good polish. Wear your nice watch and remember that interviewers can see your socks, too.
You can NEVER be too overdressed for a job interview, especially in the energy sector. So, dress for the position you want and make a great first impression.
Still stumped on what to wear or have more questions, just contact me and I’ll help you find your style to envy.