Thanks to a colleague, I was able to attend the 2nd Annual Houston Women’s Conference, Oct. 13, 2015
Format: 2 morning sessions, lunch (& awards), 1 afternoon session. Sponsoring companies may have made up the majority of awardees (that was unclear); or perhaps they agree to sponsor once their people are nominated. In any case …
What struck me throughout the day is HOW GOOD my company is relative to other organizations at helping affinity group members be better. See my detailed comments below …
Session 1: Brand New You! Tips to Market and Promote Yourself
- My takeaway: using a Professional or Executive Coach does not mean you are incompetent
- Digital footprints now exist by age 5 … managing that footprint is essential to branding
- Can you be “authenticated” by your LinkedIn Profile? If not, you will likely be passed over, even by internal recruiters at your own firm!
- Hiring … look at non-Linked In (like Facebook) for “fun & hobbies”
- Be authentic (even if you are the only woman/ minority at the table)
- Be confident (even when you have less than 100% knowledge)
- Be visible/ known for your abilities … “correction” of perception takes time
- Be clear on your purpose
Session 2: Transitions and Risk Taking: Lessons Learned While Becoming Brave
- Taking rational risk (i.e. opportunities) … exactly what we hear in every Executive Roundtable at GE. “Take the job nobody wants” … and do it well!
- My takeaway: “all that’s really missing is a conversation” (often misunderstandings are due to assumptions somewhere along the line)
- Make your desires known (reduces anxiety)
- Don’t dwell on mistakes … learn and move on!
- Men are evaluated on potential; women on performance
- Men don’t worry about “doing it all”
- Men & women self-describe differently (“I was lucky” vs. “I did great”)
- Don’t apologize … unless you really mean it!
- Recommended TED Talk “Career Advice your Didn’t Get” https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_colantuono_the_career_advice_you_probably_didn_t_get?language=en
Session 3: Lean In Roundtable
- A panel discussion, not a Roundtable
- My takeaway: find 3 people, in proximity, and build deep relationships and ultimately trust with them
- Self talk/ don’t criticize other women (women are our own worst enemies, too often)
- Power: what’s your sweet spot? Use it
- Positive politics
- Study influencers & decision makers
- Negotiate relationships
- Impostor syndrome … everybody has it … get over it
- Likeability isn’t a goal for men