Gender Intelligence Forum

Idea created by clarice.rogers Champion on May 15, 2015
    Active
    Score0

Hey Katie Mehnert!!  Amy Robinson spoke on Gender Intelligence at the HR Symposium this week.  She was absolutely awesome.  She gave a very strong business case for Gender Intelligence which should definitely be part of your pitch when you engage with industry leadership.  But I also thought that we might be able to schedule a Pink Petro event that featured her as a speaker.  I am going to try to set up an opportunity for her to present to OneSubsea leadership if I can get buy-in for it.

She gave an abbreviated overview of the neurological differences in the brains of men and women.  For example, women have 20% more "white matter" which is present in both hemispheres and acts as the conductive material for neural synapses.  So the more white matter, the easier it is to move back and forth between the two hemispheres and the more access you have to all of the different brain centers.  Men have more "grey matter" which makes it much simpler for them to compartmentalize.  In fact, it explains why women naturally multi-task and men do not.  It also explains why we have greater long-term memory, where men have short-term.  And why we rarely sleep because neuroscience has shown that women's brains rarely go into "sleep mode".  We are always firing.  While men go into sleep mode frequently and easily.

That is just one of may different things she talked about, but she said it was fascinating research and only the tip of the iceberg compared to what she usually shares in her half-day gender intelligence sessions.  I just think it would be a great opportunity to learn more, but an even greater opportunity if you could have male leadership in the room.  What she is trying to make leadership understand is the strong business case for being gender intelligent and forming more gender balanced leadership teams.  She stresses that this is not an HR or D&I initiative.  It needs to be a business initiative!!

You can find her on LinkedIn, and she has her own website at AmyLRobinson.com!