Community & Industry News

Mary Johnson
Earlier this week, Pink Petro founder & CEO, Katie Mehnert, took the stage in Bakersfield, Calif., to talk women in energy at the Women in Energy forum, presented by Berry Petroleum, Aera Energy and the California Resources Corporation.    The theme of her remarks? Resilience.    "When we embrace adversity we can emerge stronger and more… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
katie.mehnert
From Bloomberg   Ryu Bokyoung is confident she can do anything a man does in the sprawling Ulsan refinery in South Korea, be it scaling 100-meter steel towers or working through the night when repairing the plant. The challenges that come with being a woman in the traditionally male-dominated oil industry have never stopped her. But she worries a… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
katie.mehnert
A little over three years ago, I decided to make the leap.  After sitting in a comfortable chair, I decided enough was enough.     I looked around me and while I am always surrounded by the most amazingly brilliant people -- engineers, scientists, accountants, lawyers, rig hands, and just about anyone you can think of, I was struck by the numbers… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
David Feldman
1. BP CEO says Venezuela is his main geopolitical concern.   In an interview with CNBC on Monday (today), BP CEO Bob Dudley said his main geopolitical concern is not the middle east, as many people would think; but instead, he said it was Venezuela.   "I think most people would say the Gulf region, I actually say Venezuela," he said when… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
Mary Johnson
Last week, NPR published an in-depth report on the state of diversity in oil and gas.    "The U.S. oil industry is trying to find a new generation of workers in a country that is becoming more diverse. But a history of sexism and racism is making that difficult. The oil industry has struggled to solve its diversity problem despite having some big… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
David Feldman
Most of us want to conserve energy for a couple reasons.  One, to reduce the power bill.  Nobody likes being surprised by a sky-high power bill every month.  And two, we want to do our part to reduce our carbon footprint.  Both are good reasons to conserve energy.  But, let’s make sure when we try to save energy, we’re really doing it, and not… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
Mary Johnson
Mark your calendars everyone: HERWorld18 is set for International Women’s Day: March 8, 2018. And it’s going to be a good one.   Jen Welter, the first female coach in the NFL, is set to keynote, among other amazing speakers. Our theme? The New Energy Playbook — GRIT.   GRIT stands for Growth, Resilience, Innovation and Transition. 2017 has been… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
David Feldman
1. Saudi Prince Mohammed bin Salman arrests dozens of high-profile figures over the weekend.   Oil prices have reached a two year high, in large part due to Saudi Arabian Prince Mohammed bin Salman detaining multiple high-profile figures — including 11 princes, former ministers, and the billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal.  The arrests are… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
katie.mehnert
This summer I had the chance to connect with 75 female and male leaders that make up Lean In leaders.   It was at the Lean In conference I met Jen Welter (and I had the nerve to give My Kid's Fidget Spinner to Sheryl Sandberg)    Jen is an impressive woman having been the first female coach in the NFL and she'll join us on March 8 2018 on the… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
Mary Johnson
In the past five years, seven leading oil and gas companies invested more than $19 billion in renewables. Those companies also spent more than $3 billion on research and development in low emissions technologies, and on average, 21% of 2016 R&D budgets were focused on low emissions technologies.   Those findings were revealed last week when world… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
Mary Johnson
  It never fails: Every year, when the Houston Business Journal announces its list of Women Who Mean Business, we are blown away. The women in this city are an inspiration. And the more we can show the world the powerful work women are doing in the world of business, the more likely we are to create a generation of women after us who are even more… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
Mary Johnson
Here are the top headlines from last week’s Oil Viewsletter from VANDA Insights. You can download the full report here.   Troika of factors push Brent toward $60 again. How stable are they? Crude market sentiment has turned bullish in recent weeks on account of three major factors: High degree of confidence that OPEC and it’s non-OPEC… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
Mary Johnson
“Get off your ask.”   If you know Michelle Peavy, you know that’s her slogan, her catchphrase, her mantra. She’s passionate about “the ask” because she’s seen it work, in her own career and in the careers of others.   “I am the queen of questions, and I believe how you become successful at doing anything is by questions and curiosity,” Peavy… (Show more)
in News & Field Trips
Load more items