AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can you break into a new field?

Question asked by jane.haddow Champion on Apr 8, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 15, 2015 by robin.dupre

I am going to be cheeky and ask Robin Dupre question as it is a good one and scared it got lost I the other discussion :

How can someone who wants to break into a new field, do so without having the pre-required skills?

I look at my brother as a good example of this. He studied medieval history at university, when he graduated he wanted to enter the business world and was repeatedly knocked back as he didn't have the pre-required skills or office experience.

After months of looking he had a call in for an interview with a consultancy company for a short term position to do some maternity leave cover for 6 months. One of the directors interviewed him and he was offered the contract on the spot.  5 years later he is still there, they are invested in training him, have promoted him, he supervises his own projects team, he is now on a management training program and he loves it.

All because the director took the time to meet with him, saw something in him and my brother has the drive to succeed.

Outcomes