AnsweredAssumed Answered

As a leader, how do you prepare for a crisis?

Question asked by maria.bolanos on Dec 29, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 by arthune

To all our coaches, leaders, and members... here is a question for you.

I just read a Forbes article regarding 5 Ways To Transform Yourself Into A Leader:

1. Leaders Know How to Listen
  2. Leaders Know the Difference Between an Amateur and a Pro
  3. Leaders Leave Their Egos at the Door
  4. Leaders Live Outside Their Comfort Zone
  5. Leaders Have Emotional Fitness

These five are quickly explained in the post, and to be truthful, none are a surprise to anyone who is looking to be a leader or is one already. Yet, I wanted to comment on number 5

5. Leaders Have Emotional Fitness

Emotional intelligence—the ability to read and connect with just about anyone in the room—is great, but it doesn’t sustain you in times of uncertainty and instability. It wasn’t until I became a career coach that I learned the importance of emotional fitness. Emotional fitness is your ability to flexibly endure the ups and downs of business and life. The difference between managers and leaders is the way they react to and process the failed deals, the lost clients, and even the busted refrigerator in the break room. Managers freak out, sending tiny ripples of panic and chaos through the rest of the team. Leaders tap into an inner Buddha, an unwavering stillness that empowers them to take a deep breath and keep moving forward.

This, I think, is the toughest quality to find in a true leader. We all know of wonderful people who can guide a team when concrete goals are set and all is moving forward smoothly. The real issue is when things go haywire.  

Does anyone have any coaching advice on how to prepare for a crisis?

How to overcome that natural instinct to flee or play the blaming game instead of tackling the issue head on? I believe that a leader will prove their worth under the worse circumstances.

I know that anyone dealing with crisis management as a job description goes through emergency mode training. Practice makes perfect after all. We all have fire and evacuation drills so that we know what to do in case of an emergency.

So how do leaders train for such a case, is it taught or must one just have the natural instinct to stay calm when a disaster arises?

Thanks for your comments and input…

To read full post  go to the following link: http://www.forbes.com/sites#/sites/dailymuse/2015/02/27/5-ways-to-transform-yourself-into-a-leader/

Outcomes