This TED talk by Celeste Headlee http://www.ted.com/talks/celeste_headlee_10_ways_to_have_a_better_conversation
is short, enjoyable, and full of great advice. She offers 10 great ways to have better conversation. She advises us to enter every conversation assuming you have something to learn. Powerful talk which I highly recommend. Her 10 points:
1. Be present. Don't multitask.
2. Don't pontificate.
3. Use open-ended questions
4. Go with the flow (ignore that thought and let it flow out of your head!)
5. If you don't know, say you don't know.
6. Don't equate your experience with theirs.
7. Try not to repeat yourself.
8. Stay out of the weeds.
10. Be brief.